Robin’s 650b city bike

Robin’s husband Chris surprised her with the gift of a custom bike. But like all custom bikes, they can’t be a complete surprise. Robin was the point person when it came to choosing the details and she made this bike into a beauty. Classic 8×3 Shimano drivetrain with bar end shifters on Paul Component’s thumbies, 650b Velocity wheelset, SKS fenders, and Weinmann brakes with brazed on pivots and retrofitted spring adjusters are just some of the highlights. The silvery blue that she chose contrasts beautifully with the red head tube and the gold lug lining. A truly classic bicycle.



 
 
 
 
See the full slideshow.

Joe brought this Raleigh Supercourse in for a repaint more so than a restoration. I reinforced the seat binder with a small piece of chromoly and some brass. The rear end was also spaced out to 130mm for a modern wheel. He chose the green color and did the build himself. A lot of modern components on there to keep the weight down with a touch of old style with the chain guard.



 
 

Deb’s disc cross bike

We have done paint work for Deb in the past so we were happy to have her back to build her a new cyclocross bike. She wanted to go the disc route for her cross bike and I was happy to oblige. To keep the weight down, we chose the Whisky 1 1/8″ carbon disc fork. The stresses put on a frameset with disc brakes are different from that of rim brakes so dropouts and fork legs need to be reinforced. The blue and cream paint scheme with red and yellow details is so gorgeous I almost don’t want to see it get dirty. Almost.



 
 
 
 
See the full slideshow.

A little bit ago, David sent us a pair of Bruce Gordons to get repainted. It was our pleasure as Bruce is still one of the greatest framebuilders out there. Gorgeous thinned lugs got a nice thin coating of clear to preserve the sharpness of the shorelines.


 
 
 
 

Robin’s 650b city bike is up next!

Derek’s big and tall road frameset

Derek came to us looking to upgrade his road bike that was too small for him with something more appropriately sized. He could easily have ridden a frame as large as 68cm but we tried to keep it smaller in appearance by dropping the top tube, angling the top tube by a degree, using a bit more of the steerer, using larger diameter tubes, longer cranks, longer fork for medium reach brakes, and proportional 48cm oversize handlebars. The final bike is 65cm. The bike is fillet brazed and built from True Temper tubing. The seat collar was custom brazed and shaped. The fork is a fillet brazed unicrown for a consistent smooth look with the rest of the frame. The black has a pearl coat that is understated in the shade but definitely comes to life in the sun.



 
 
 

See the full slideshow.

This adorable Schwinn Co-Ed came to the shop for a refinish in the same black scheme. The fenders had lining on both sides which gave me the opportunity to use the Beugler striper which is one of my favorite paint tools. Check out the before and after pictures for the transformation.


 
 
 
 

This Galmozzi came to the shop in its raw form. Ricardo stripped the frameset, specified the colors, and provided the decals which made my day. The final outcome is this blue and white beauty.



 
 

Recumbents are a foreign animal to our shop but when David called to get his Counterpoint Presto repainted, we were happy to oblige. We were excited to ride it more than anything! And when it was completed, David brought it back for our maiden voyage. Everyone at the shop took it or a ride down Charles Street during rush hour. I have to say that riding a short wheelbase recumbent was a bit terrifying but I could easily get used to it after a couple of miles.


 
 

Curtis’ Di2 cyclocross bike

Curtis came to us looking for a cyclocross bike the would be compatible with Ultegra Di2. He also had some very specific designs for the paint including a hand drawn picture of his dog on the seat tube. The outcome is a swoopy stayed, modern paint, fillet brazed, steel frameset. The lugged shell was used so there would be space for the Di2 wiring to go around the bottom bracket. The battery was mounted under the saddle off of the Deda seat post and all cable/wire routing was internal for a clean look. Curtis has since moved away from New England for the comfy climate of southern California. Good luck out there!



 
 
 
 
See the full slideshow.

This Merlin repaint came to the shop from New Jersey. It had serious corrosion at the water bottle bosses and paint falling off everywhere else. Dean specified a custom dark purple and now it’s a new(ish) bike!


 
 

This Hunter repaint was a team effort for Circle A. Jay stripped it. Chris primed it and I did the paint and clearcoat. Thanks to Rick Hunter for the vector graphic that was painted on!


 
 

And painting tandems is always a tricky thing. This Schwinn Paramount pretty much made our entire booth turn yellow. Tandems are a LOT heavier than standard frames so tossing them around in the booth while painting isn’t really an option. I always resort to parkour style acrobatics to get all the angles and not get any dry spots. If you look closely, you can see that this Schwinn tandem actually had files and sand paper taken to it. That’s because Bryan Hollingsworth had his way with it before it got to us and made it look like it should. Great job!