Repaints, repairs, and my cross frame

So a couple of bikes have been in the works at the shop including this Witcomb track frame that was in for a repaint. Here are a couple shots of the lugs, crown, and shell which were the most difficult for me to mask.

Witcomb seat lug Witcomb BB shell
Witcomb fork Witcomb frame
Witcomb crown Witcomb head tube

That Motobecane that was run over by a car is also ready to go. We’re not doing the paint on it so it’s heading out like this.

Motobecane BB shell Motobecane dropouts
Motobecane bridge Motobecane frame

Jack stopped by the shop to show us his built up Green Jake cross bike. Looks pretty sweet if you ask me. The tubes for my frame are already mitered and in the jig. I brazed it together today and will be uploading more pics this weekend. Hopefully much progress is made.

Jack’s Green Jake Brian’s CX frame

And lastly, that flatland frame I built for Henry a while back is assembled and ready to ride. He uploaded some pictures to Global-Flat here.

Jack’s completed cross frame

Just finished with jack’s frame this weekend. Here are the latest pictures of it. The complete slideshow can be seen here. My frame is next and then it’s to the races for some R&D.

Things have been chugging along at the shop. It’s September and we’re still not entirely set up. Go figure. Maybe we’ll have an open house someday. Speaking of which, Ant Bike Mike will be having his on October 6th so mark your calendar.

img_9826.jpg img_9789.jpg
img_9812.jpg img_9796.jpg
img_9827.jpg img_9788.jpg

So your bike was run over by a car…

I’m an idiot for not getting pictures of this bike before I cut it apart. It’s an old Reynolds 531 Motobecane Grand Record that had its back end crushed by a car. We were asked to replace the rear end salvaging the Campagnolo dropouts and reuse the original bridges and seat stay caps. Well, all went well except for the seat stay caps which practically disintegrated when I was pulling them off. So here was my first attempt at doing a wrap around seat stay cap. Looks good to me and after clean-up it’ll look even better.

The new rear end Seat stay caps

I took a bunch of pictures of Hannah’s frame and am going to update the gallery momentarily. Here are a couple shots and a slideshow of the build process for anyone interested.

Hannah’s frame Hannah

Other things going on that are fun are a Ritchey dropout replacement on a Kona. Hooray. I’ll be painting the back end of it tomorrow. I guess that’s it. I should be cutting tubes for Jack’s bike tomorrow. I’ll see how much I can get done. More to come soon.

The bent dropout Brazing in the new dropout Brazed dropout

Hannah’s is done. Cross racing begins.

Hannah’s paint is finished and I’ll add pictures to the gallery soon enough. But for now, here’s a sneak peak at the finished product.

In the paint booth From the back
The seat cluster The frame

Last September I had built a frame for Dan Langlois but never had the chance to take pictures of it. After a season of cross and doing a bunch of traveling, the well-used frame returned to the shop. so here’s a shot of Dan getting it back together. I painted a stem to match it as well. The cross season technically starts on Sunday for Dan with a race up in Agawam, MA. Good luck, man.

Dan’s cross frame The stem

Speaking of bikes returning to the shop, this red star fade bike has been making the rounds. It’s temporary home is for now at the shop. The original owner bent the seat stay and he sold it to a friend who had us replace the stay and repaint it. I should say right now that I will never do a paint job like this again.

Star fade

Two more cross bikes to do this week including one for Jack at the Hub and one for ME! Yes, me. I will be thoroughly testing one of my fillet brazed cross frames this year. Can’t wait. More pics to come soon.

Busy, busy, busy

So Henry’s flatland frame has been painted and shipped. Here are the shots of it before it went off to Cali.

The front Etched
The bars. WTP Fork
The back end. The frame.

In other news, Hannah’s bike is still coming along nicely. I filed and sanded all the fillets and will hopefully be painting her frame by the end of the week. I also used some layout dye to mark a design in the seat tube extension to match the reinforcements that will be on the headtube.

Head tube Seat cluster Rear end.
Layout dye. Chopping away. The carved seat tube.
Canti bosses

I did a bit of painting for John Cully over at Echelon late last week. Here are some close-up shots of that.

Echelon Echelon

And lastly, Chris, Emily and I went over to Truro, MA for our friends’ Niki and Brendan’s wedding this past weekend. A few of us rode out there and had an amazing time. Congratulations kids!

Me and Lee Emily Me and Chris

Waiting for paint

Here’s the latest update on the flatland frame. The brazing is complete and I just have a little more work to do on the dropouts. Otherwise it’s ready for paint. And that happens early next week as the paint booth at the shop is finally complete. Also, next week I should be busy with a dropout replacement and I’m starting a cyclocross frame for my friend Hannah. I’ll be posting the progress here. That is all for now.

Seat cluster Bottom bracket
Seat cluster The front end
Dropouts Dropout detail
Head tube The frame

Henry’s flatland frame

The shop is finally getting to the point of being fully functional now. It’s still a mess but we’re pretty eager to work and get it configured to our liking. It ain’t pretty yet but we’re getting there.

The messy shop The bench

I’ve started on my first frame here and it’s a flatland frame for my friend Henry. It’s a bit of a challenge as I’m trying something different for him with a more “traditional” flatland style with a gusseted front end for foot clearance. Check the pics. The brazing should start tomorrow followed by another update.

The gusset The carved set post sleeve.