Repaints, repairs, and my cross frame

So a couple of bikes have been in the works at the shop including this Witcomb track frame that was in for a repaint. Here are a couple shots of the lugs, crown, and shell which were the most difficult for me to mask.

Witcomb seat lug Witcomb BB shell
Witcomb fork Witcomb frame
Witcomb crown Witcomb head tube

That Motobecane that was run over by a car is also ready to go. We’re not doing the paint on it so it’s heading out like this.

Motobecane BB shell Motobecane dropouts
Motobecane bridge Motobecane frame

Jack stopped by the shop to show us his built up Green Jake cross bike. Looks pretty sweet if you ask me. The tubes for my frame are already mitered and in the jig. I brazed it together today and will be uploading more pics this weekend. Hopefully much progress is made.

Jack’s Green Jake Brian’s CX frame

And lastly, that flatland frame I built for Henry a while back is assembled and ready to ride. He uploaded some pictures to Global-Flat here.

So your bike was run over by a car…

I’m an idiot for not getting pictures of this bike before I cut it apart. It’s an old Reynolds 531 Motobecane Grand Record that had its back end crushed by a car. We were asked to replace the rear end salvaging the Campagnolo dropouts and reuse the original bridges and seat stay caps. Well, all went well except for the seat stay caps which practically disintegrated when I was pulling them off. So here was my first attempt at doing a wrap around seat stay cap. Looks good to me and after clean-up it’ll look even better.

The new rear end Seat stay caps

I took a bunch of pictures of Hannah’s frame and am going to update the gallery momentarily. Here are a couple shots and a slideshow of the build process for anyone interested.

Hannah’s frame Hannah

Other things going on that are fun are a Ritchey dropout replacement on a Kona. Hooray. I’ll be painting the back end of it tomorrow. I guess that’s it. I should be cutting tubes for Jack’s bike tomorrow. I’ll see how much I can get done. More to come soon.

The bent dropout Brazing in the new dropout Brazed dropout

Bike + Car Door =

This repair came into the shop and made me realize that getting doored must be pretty painful. The downtube on this Casati is in the process of being replaced (duh). It’s a damn shame too, that pink was so beautiful. It hurt cutting it out. Note the gap in the head tube miter. Hopefully I’ll get it tighter than what it came in with. Yikes. I’ll post some more pics when the grinding is done and the new tube is in.

Casati Downtube Headtube cut BB Cut

Bottom bracket replacement

So between frames I’m doing a fun little repair which is replacing a bottom bracket shell. The BB was seized in there and the shell was slightly mangled so this was pretty much the only option. In this instance, it’s a fillet brazed frame so it’s not as tragic as it could’ve been. The brass held everything together nicely. After cutting the old one out and grinding out what remained of the shell, the new one slid right in. Check out the pics.

img_8219.jpg img_8218.jpg
img_8214.jpg img_8222.jpg