July 16th, 2009
So Jen’s 26″ world-tourer just went out; she’s building it up in Milwaukee and striking out to the west. It was an interesting and novel paint job, so that means – you guessed it – it’s time for another ANATOMY OF A PAINT JOB!
This is the original mockup she sent me:
And here’s how I got started; first I sprayed the entire bike white, and then I started masking off where I would be shooting red, using a combination of Fine-Line tape for the points and circles cut by the vinyl cutter for curves:
Once the shapes were outlined, I have to cover everything that was going to stay white:
Then I shot red, did some more masking for the black headtube and stay ends, shot black, and pull off the bandages:
But I wasn’t done yet. Oh no. Jen had designed an elaborate dot pattern that she wanted on the seat tube, to be in gray, along with the logos. So we put Snips McGinty to work:
And here’s the final product, clearcoated, frame-saved, and ready for components:
I also just finished painting a disc-brake single speed frame for Jascha. He’ll be using a Civia disc brake fork; this has a 1 1/8″ steerer so we had to use lugs that would allow for the super-oversized headtube.
We also used the Paragon sliding disc dropouts; these allow you to tension the chain without changing the orientation of the caliper to the wheel, and presented some engineering challenges:
He chose a lovely deep burgundy red, with gunmetal gray and silver accents:
Next: Parts for Jascha, and Mo’s road bike!
This entry was posted on Thursday, July 16th, 2009 at 8:30 am and is filed under Bike Building, Bike Painting. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.