Bullwhip

CONOR, COUPLERS, CHAOS

March 15th, 2011

What’s been happening? Repairs, repaints, and an exciting new coupled rando bike for Conor in Texas. Once again we’re using S&S couplers; and some Richard Sachs lugs, True Temper OX Platinum tubing, and full rack & fender mounts in the bargain. I’m painting it this week, but here are some pics of the progress so far. The first shots show me brazing the coupler into the tube, and then fitting it up in the jig. The black nut is an assembly nut, I’ll put the pretty polished nut on before paint:

Here I am test-fitting it in the case; the goal is to be able to leave the fork and cranks on. It’s a 58cm seat tube, so it’s going to be close. And some more shots before paint (and waiting on closed-end bosses for the low rider mounts).

I also did a dropout replacement on Travis’ Colnago; it had some funky proprietary socket dropouts, so I had to use some big track dropouts (shaved down considerably) to make it work. Fortunately the customer didn’t ask me to match that unique paint:

And we’ve got some paint: an Igleheart for NAHBS, a vintage Brennan for Blaine (check out those wild head lugs), a Raleigh for Andy, and here’s a couple of the seven (!) Gaulzetti’s I painted:

Next: Conor, painted! Aaron! Mike! Laura! Tom! Two belt drives, one family!

This entry was posted on Tuesday, March 15th, 2011 at 7:19 pm and is filed under Bike Building, Bike Painting, Bike Repairs. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

6 Responses to “CONOR, COUPLERS, CHAOS”

1. Conor says:

March 17th, 2011 at 7:08 pm

I’m uber excited! The bike looks hot! (even sans paint)

2. Shoving off!! | life on 2 wheels says:

March 17th, 2011 at 7:52 pm

[…] In other news, I’m sad to report I will not be riding out on the 600k straddling my new Circle A. I partially blame a friend for her pessimistic realism. Either way, I can report the experience with Chris has been great. And he has been teasing me with pictures of the build. […]

3. admin says:

March 18th, 2011 at 6:09 am

Thanks, and thanks especially for being understanding! Of course, Brian and I are always perfectly on time, it’s those @#$%&*! parts suppliers forever holding up the works. But with closed-end water bottle bosses in hand, we’ll finish this up and get you rolling for the next ride!

4. Captain Angry says:

March 18th, 2011 at 4:09 pm

Chris,
    Nice work on the coupled rando bike! What will the 2 the two bosses on the back of the seat tube be used for?

5. admin says:

March 18th, 2011 at 6:01 pm

Well, originally we were going to mount a Road Morph pump behind the seat tube (I used a steep seat tube angle and long chainstays to allow for that), but the stock bracket for that pump is designed to mount on water bottle bosses (unlike a traditional frame pump). We decided that to maximize accessory possibilities (and because the S&S coupler eliminated the possibility of a third bottle cage) we might as well throw them on – it will work with the stock bracket (holding the pump unnecessarily to the side), but maybe the future holds a custom bracket… not to mention solar shower, ipod dock, propane-powered espresso machine, bbq grill…

I’m not kidding about the grill. Watch this space!

6. Captain Angry says:

March 19th, 2011 at 2:43 pm

A grill??? Nice! Thank you.